Thursday, May 24, 2012

A few words on Johnathan Rand

Okay, I just want to make one thing perfectly clear: I don't HATE Johnathan Rand (the pseundonym of Christopher Wright). In fact, I admire him. I take pride in the American dream and I enjoy reading up on true examples, i.e, The Persuit of Happyness, Bill Gates. Johnathan Rand was once a freelance writer who tried desperately to sell his books to gas stations and supermarkets. He finally secured a distributor and American Chillers became a sleeper hit series. I would describe it as a "cult series". American Chillers is not super popular, as in, you can't find them wherever books are sold, but the books were a big enough of a hit for Rand to do his dream, and write full time. This is my dream. I want to be a writer of books desperately. Therefore, I admire him. That he can have such a loyal fan base. That he can be so successful. If he would take the time to think up plots that aren't recycled from other things, or if he would ditch the REALLY friggin' annoying repetitive titles, his books would be really good.

This blog was never meant to be mean. It was merely meant to provide comical reviews of his books, which I find funny. It's all in good fun. Johnathan Rand is a great writer, but he needs to treat his audience with a little more respect. Then, his books would be a lot better. If he didn't just assume that they would accept anything, you would see TONS of effort put into it.
Not to say that Mr. Rand is lazy, because I know how hard it is to write a book. Believe me, I've tried. But you have a really talented guy who could add a lot more detail into it and a lot more realistic scenes rather than fake outs and underdeveloped characters. He knows his audience, but not well enough. 

What he should do is write books for adults. Really. He would be really successful. WAY more successful than he is now.

Johnathan Rand, you are a funny guy, and a really nice guy, but if you made a few minor adjustments, you could be as popular as R.L Stine, my favorite author.

You are an inspiration to me and many others. God bless, Troy.

No comments:

Post a Comment